On August 1st, VMware released the long awaited 3.0.2 version of ESX or VI-3 if you like. This version originally was planned to be released in Q1 of 2007. Due to reasons I do not know the existance of the releasedate was postponed to yesterday. I am sure that I am not the first one to write about this, especially when it concerns an update which involves the flagship of VMware. Look here or here and of course on the site of VMware to see more details.
A brief description of new features (release notes):
- Support for extra operating systems (w2k3 sp2 etc)
- driver updates
- The new vmkerrcode utility allows you to display a table of all VMkernel errors, a brief description, and the corresponding error codes in both decimal and hexadecimal format
- Support for newest versions of systemmanagement software (HP Insight Manager, DELL OpenManage)
- Wyse Multimedia Support can now be installed into compatible guest operating systems using the VMware Tools Installer
- New hardware support (DELL)
- Support for additional backup software from third-party vendors
- VMware Consolidate Backup 1.0.3 (with ESX 3.0.2) supports iSCSI storage in addition to fiber channel storage
Be aware that you need to have the latest version (2.0.2) of Virtual Center to be able to manage it in a way that is supported by VMware (only if you use VC of course).